Town and Parish Councils are an important tier of Government within the UK; a Town or Parish Council is the most localised tier of local government in the UK and is a properly constituted local authority.

The manner in which a Town Council operates, including powers and duties, are defined in local government statute and regulations.  Town Councils operate at a level below national government and also below district and borough councils. Town Councils are elected and can help on a number of local issues, such as planning applications, managing local recreation areas, halls, cemeteries etc.

Please use this link for the Government Definition of a Town Council.

The Town Council has legal responsibilities as an employer, and in the case of Waltham Abbey Town Council as an owner of public land and buildings.

Town Councils are Statutory Bodies, having powers under a number of different Acts, such as the Local Government Act 1972.   Only a few Councils need to use all their available powers and it is up to each Council to choose what is appropriate for the community they serve.

The Council raises funds by the annual Precept which is set in January of each year. The amount required is guided by the setting of the annual budget in the November preceding.

The Town Council precept is added to the Council Tax bill and collected by Epping Forest District Council on behalf of the Town Council.

Waltham Abbey Town Council has 11 members or councillors.  The Town Council exists to help residents and to be a point of contact for ideas and suggestions for improvements in the town.

Membership of the Council is voluntary, and the members give their time freely to help enhance the town and support the town for the benefit of all residents.

With three tiers of local government in Essex it can be confusing knowing which authority to contact about local matters, particular services, general advice or information.

This brief list outlines some of the key areas covered by each council and may help to understand who does what in our area.  If you have any queries please contact 01992 714949 or the Town Clerk .