Waltham Abbey Town Council
This website is run by Waltham Abbey Town Council (WATC). We regard your privacy as important and comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We process and hold information in order to provide public services. This notice explains how we use and share your information. Information may be collected on a paper or online form, by telephone, email or by a member of our staff, or one of our partners.
We record personal information if you:
- subscribe to or apply for services that require personal information
- report a problem and leave contact details for us to respond
- contact us and leave your details for us to respond
- are employed by WATC
Why we collect information
We collect and hold information about you, in order to:
- deliver public services
- confirm your identity to provide some services
- contact you by post, email or telephone
- understand your needs to provide the services that you request
- understand what we can do for you and inform you of other relevant services and benefits
- obtain your opinion about our services
- update your customer record
- help us to build up a picture of how we are performing at delivering services
- prevent and detect fraud and corruption in the use of public funds
- allow us to undertake statutory functions efficiently and effectively
- make sure we meet our statutory obligations
Our Right to Process Information
We are permitted to process information under GDPR Article 6 (1) (a) (b) and (e) when:
- Processing is with consent of the data subject, or
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, or
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
How we use your information
We will only use any personal information you send us for the purposes for which you provide it. We will only hold your information for as long as necessary. All employees who have access to your personal data and are associated with the handling of that data are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your data. All your communications to us are protected against unauthorised access by third parties.
The Council tries to keep the information we have about you accurate and up to date. If you find errors or inaccuracies in your data we will erase, complete or amend that information upon request. Please email the Town Clerk or telephone 01992 714949.
We will process your information for the following purposes:
- for the service you requested, and to monitor and improve the council’s performance in responding to your request
- to allow us to be able to communicate and provide services and benefits appropriate to your needs
- to ensure that we meet our legal obligations
- where necessary for the law enforcement functions
- to prevent and detect fraud or crime
- To process relevant financial transactions including grants and payments for goods and services supplied to the Council
- where necessary to protect individuals from harm or injury
- to allow the statistical analysis of data so we can plan the provision of services
WATC understands the importance of the security of personal data. We make sure that your information is protected from unauthorised access, loss, manipulation, falsification, destruction or unauthorised disclosure. This is done through appropriate technical measures and appropriate policies. We will only keep your data for the purpose it was collected for and only for as long as is necessary. After which it will be deleted. You may request deletion of your data at any time.
We will not process any data relating to a child (under 13) without the express parental/ guardian consent of the child concerned.
Access to Information
You have the right to request access to the information we have about you. You can do this by contacting our Data Protection Officer.
If you believe that the information we have about you is incorrect, you may contact us so that we can update it and keep your data accurate. Please contact the Data Protection Officer.
If you wish WATC to delete the information about you please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Right to Object
If you believe that your data is not being processed for the purpose it has been collected for, you may object: Please contact the Data Protection Officer.
If you have a complaint regarding the way your personal data has been processed you may make a complaint to Waltham Abbey Town Council.
Data Protection Officer : email@example.com
Information Commissioners Office firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0303 123 1113
Waltham Abbey Town Council, Town Hall, Highbridge Street, Waltham Abbey. Essex EN9 1DE
What are Cookies?
In accordance with the law, WATC only collects a limited amount of information about you that is necessary for correspondence, information and service provision. WATC does not use profiling and does not sell or pass your data to third parties. WATC does not use your data for purposes other than those specified. WATC makes sure your data are stored securely. WATC deletes all information deemed to be no longer necessary. WATC will regularly review procedures and policies to ensure that these keep up to date in protecting your data.